Personal Brand new professionals
Dice Tom Peters , with such vehemence that characterizes him, we will have to reinvent our job in the coming years, we are one-person companies and services that jobs will be replaced by projects.
Peter Drucker also says that it's time to take charge of our careers as individuals and not just rely on "daddy" company.
Tanto Peters como Drucker, They refer not only consultants but to all types of professionals. Work is over for life and from now we will all have to think like micro services of one person. That is to say, YO mentality prevails, S.A. even if someone pays us a payroll. You could say that in a few years, we will all become consultants and we will change the concept of employment by the project.
Free Agent Nation
Is this a pessimistic view? I do not think so, quite the contrary. It opens a new world of career possibilities. This new way of thinking forces us to rethink our careers. They will no longer be static and linear but must be flexible to adjust to the new market needs.
Although this need to adapt to change requires effort, also we will give the possibility to go choosing what best suits our strengths, our tastes and our goals. we will not be half of our lives doing the same as a result of the choice we made when we were twenty years.
In order to succeed in this new free-agent market we need to know that we are different, that we emphasize or what is the same in discovering our Personal Brand. A personal brand is what differentiates a professional "commodity" or a professional white label with added value. no longer enough to just be competent in your job, you must also be known standards and style above the market average.
Companies that want to survive in the market, They should encourage the Personal Brand of the professionals. As James Speros says (Chief Marketing Officer de Ernst&Young), "Personal Brand of employees is not a threat to the enterprise, but an active ".
Instead of providing security to employees, companies must provide the tools for professionals reinvent themselves and go as far as their talents can take them. Unfortunately in many cases we will meet resistance from employers because even though there is much talk of retaining talent, in many cases rather it seems to stop speaking talent.
Chess and checkers
It may seem that the development of Personal Records by professionals is a risk to the cultures closed, homogeneous and uniform of some companies in general and consultants in particular. Nevertheless, it does not have to be this way. A personal brand of the analysis and discovery of values, talent and goals of each professional and if these are aligned with those of the company, the risk disappears and becomes a fortress. evidently, the company must make an effort to know what are those values and try to satisfy them.
In a market where the demographic curve is downward and that loyalty to companies is part of the past, these tables pompous say the company mission is to provide shareholder value, are as motivators for our professionals as the glory of the state for a worker in a tractor factory in Ukraine at the beginning of the 90. Companies that want to survive will have to replace the mentality of playing checkers by chess, wherein each piece has a value and a different function.
People trust people
On the other hand, following recent scandals seems that there is some fear of large corporations.
In the same way we associate trademarks to certain values and intangible characteristics, Personal brand can establish solid and lasting links between people. For that reason, when a professional is known for its brand, it is possible to establish a relationship more individual, more personal, more authentic and that can only be beneficial for him and his company, because if one thing is clear it is that people trust people and not entities. It is back to the old personal relationship of trust, which it is established between two people. And that's not the last of the last, but comes back to something they already knew the Phoenicians but seem to have forgotten.
The discovery (not create) a Personal Brand is similar to product development. Five steps:
1. First, you need to understand the market, the context in which we move.
2. In a second stage to do a thorough analysis of the product, in this case it comes to each of us and could be summed up in something as classic as "know thyself". This is the most important stage.
3. Then you need to understand and apply those concepts that make a personal brand becomes stronger as consistency, authenticity, persistence, The visibility, etc.
4. Once discovered the brand, you have to bring it to light and for that classic marketing tools are used but applied to individuals. Fortunately, technology allows us to reach our market almost at zero cost. It's funny how it has spread in the consulting industry utilizing one of the most powerful tools of Personal Marketing, blogs. They are numerous and every day, young consultants who publish blogs talking about their experiences. Of course, most of them do anonymously.
5. All this should not be a mere theoretical exercise but must take action and to do a strategic plan is established Personal Brand.
This process, so simple and known to apply to persons carrying some ten years ago in the US yet, It has not come to our country until recently. Although I can guess the answer (and terrifies me) I'm still wondering Why?
- Your business model: how to move from diagnosis to action plan - 18 May, 2019
- Your social networks are yours, they belong to your personal brand - 10 May, 2019
- What drives social conformity? (Asch's experiment) - 4 May, 2019
- 10 ideas worth spreading (10 speakers, better) - 26 April, 2019