Although I am not a specialist in online marketing, My own experience 7 years Soymimarca blog, one of the corporate blogs del personal branding, I encourage me to suggest some ideas to make this journey more bearable.
I've seen over the years many mistakes improvisation and lack of professionalism, and I rated and developed for your company to achieve dodge:
- Syndrome shell company. Not having one or more corporate blogs
- Extreme boredom syndrome. Confusing blog with a section of company news
- Dehumanized syndrome company. Not knowing who sign posts
- The headless chicken syndrome. Not having a content strategy
- Endogamic syndrome. Not invite external authors
- Blog shy syndrome. No share content on social networks
- Blog disappeared syndrome. Some SEO is not bad, without obsessions
- Impatient syndrome. Believe that this gives results within a few weeks
1. Syndrome shell company: Not having one or more corporate blogs
According to "Employer Branding radiography companies Spain" of Eurofirms, only a 42% companies have corporate blogs. Such a surprising fact as worrisome.
If an organization needs to launch a content strategy, you can do it in many ways. But certainly have a corporate blog is helpful. For several reasons:
- The blog is a "digital home"A place that is under the control of the company and from which always easier to sort and find content, by category, authors, tags…
- The blog greatly facilitates employee advocacy strategy, giving voice to internal talent.
- Consequence of this, the blog facilitates employer branding strategy, attracting external talent.
- This is an excellent resource for the press, you can find materials to supplement your articles, giving greater visibility to the company.
- It is a two-way communication resource, which allows any external person can discuss the contents of each post. Recall that markets are conversations.
Source: X-Employer Branding in Spanish companies / Oct 2017
2. Extreme boredom syndrome. confusing corporate blogs with sections Company news
Many companies have chosen to rename the old news section, now called blog. It is only if you are signed blog, if it supports comments and if your reading does not require passwords. But I would add that the old news sections explained in journalistic writing bored format. And a lot.
Your company has purchased a new machine may be relevant to your customers. Even for your people. But that's better tell a newsletter. The goal of a corporate blog is that its contents are rich, relevant, that add value to people who do not even know the organization and its brands. to attract (basic principle of inbound marketing).
3. Dehumanized syndrome company. Not knowing who sign posts
I repeat. This is not a news section. It is an opportunity to reach quality audiences through content humanised. Corporate signature on a blog is equivalent to talking to a bot. I get tired of saying that They speak to people, not companies and brands.
In addition, digitally sign posts for professionals, either internal or guests, It is a good promotional tool. And therefore part of a process of personal branding to boost personal brand of these professionals.
4. The headless chicken syndrome: Not having a content strategy
What are we talking this week? Cold sweat. Looks to nowhere. Nobody wants to answer. One has read something this morning that could be the seed of a content. The boss does not see it. Nor chief.
Have a content strategy in a corporate blog is not as difficult. You can create categories based on various criteria: targets, keywords, areas of activity of the organization ... For example, those of Soymimarca They are aimed at different audiences, since the focus is always personal branding.
Someone specialist SEO (positioning online) I would say that the best strategy is the creation of categories keyword why? because if done right (keyword planner) We use the exact words search of our customers and other stakeholders. In this post, for example, the keyword is corporate blogs.
Once we have the blog categories, We can think of subcategories. Imagine that we have defined 8 categories, If everyone can shelter 6 subcategories, We have a total of 48 topics to talk about. Almost one for every week of the year.
It then tries to find the best author of each topic (Internal external) and assign responsibility for drafting the content, following a style guide previously approved.
5. Endogamic syndrome. Not invite external authors corporate blogs
Why would a company like Ferrovial, with about 100.000 employees, would need to invite external authors to your blog?
For me Ferrovial's blog meets the characteristics of an example of corporate blogs. Positive invite external authors to enrich the contents. And while, get more widely by joining several communities (internal and external) in the process.
I was fortunate enough to receive an invitation to write there on the value proposition, and the truth is that was enriching for the community and for mine Ferrovial. Win-win.
Elena Arnaiz has created in his blog a section entitled "today shines"Where different authors invited to create value on issues of personal brand, recruitment,…
6. Blog shy syndrome. No share content on social networks
Create a content is progress. But the post does not move alone. You need to gain exposure, and this requires free media and means of payment. Most important, for greater engagement and outreach it is essential to have the diffusion of employees in their own communities. Not to force, Only those who feel the colors and that have communities and digital skills to make.
As for ways to promote the corporate blogs, here are some alternatives:
- Share it on social networks. let's remember, corporate and ideally the best brand ambassadors -both internal and external.
- Advertise in social networks (I suggest reading the book "How to monetize social networks"Pedro Rojas and Maria Redondo, -Lid Editorial- which they deal with the subject exhaustively).
- E-mail marketing.
- Internal linking strategy (web) to promote content.
- Press releases.
Some companies are dedicated to "tag" external influencers post their tweets when new content is it a good practice? I speak on their own behalf, It is recommended if they are implied in the post, if not, This is pure spam.
7. Blog disappeared syndrome. Some SEO is not bad, without obsessions
Strategy online search engine positioning (SEO) You can help make content easier to find by those who do not know us.
There are several actions that, without obsessing, worth considering:
- Define a keyword per post, to be 100% related to the content and category. If not forced, worth repeating keyword 4 O 5 times.
- If it is a text blog, Keep in mind that the short posts are not as welcome to Google as long and well structured. Some authors speak of 1.200 words as an ideal. El plugin SEO by Yoast, a reference for users of WordPress, recommends a minimum of 900 words. In any case, my obsesses me more quality content not quantity, but if you want to tie it all together, note the extent of each post.
- Some companies have chosen to create their own blog domain for different web. From an SEO point of view it is a mistake, since it involves not take advantage of the inertia of attraction keywords to a single domain. For example, Blog URL is Soymimarca soymimarca.com/blog-personal-branding.
- Remember to enrich with images, podcasts, videos, infographics ... Today we know that these elements facilitate reading and get between a 20 and a 50% more visits. In this masterpost (7.000 words) José Facchin expert explains the keys to the success of your blog, which include the use of images and computer graphics.
8. Impatient syndrome. Believe that this gives results within a few weeks
The expert John Lincoln defines a customer journey of the corporate blogs in four years to achieve its effectiveness.
- Year 1: create audience
- Year 2: Basic monitoring and constant flow of traffic
- Year 3: count visits by thousands, generating leads and business
- Year 4: The blog is already established as a channel for marketing and branding
Sure you'll come more errors. But these are the most blatant I have encountered along the way. Do not forget to consult those who live on this, among which I recommend to José Facchin, Miguel Florido, Claudio Inacio, Rubén Alonso, and Vilma Nunez, among many others.
Photo by Diego Vitali on Unsplash