This week he interviewed me Rosa Carvajal, Journalist, asking about issues related to recruiters, candidates and candidates digital activity stadiums on the Internet and social media.
One of the questions referred to the extent to which non-presence on the Internet could be equated to non-existence for recruiters. And that made me see that there really are three stages of digital presence of our personal brand: Absence, presence and essence.
This is where I develop these three stages of digital activity, with their pros and cons. If you're short on time, I invite you to watch this video-summary of a minute.
- Absence. You're not. Nobody's going to find you there.
- Presence. 're. Little else
- Essence. 're, you create value, Share, Thank, Manage, Connect
- It's your turn to assess which stadium may be most interesting to you
Absence. You're not. Nobody's going to find you there.
You're not. It is one of the stages of digital activity (in this case, Absence) What Represents, according to the IAB study 2019, To 15% adult population in Spain. Possibly your attitude to the Internet and social media is one of these:
- If I'm already doing well off social media,what the hell should be there for?
- I 'm jealous of my privacy. Being on social media is going to steal it from me..
- With email, Google and Whatsapp I communicate with the people I care about?I need more?
- That's it for people who have plenty of time, And that's not my case.
I don't expect to convince you otherwise., but at least let me list you the pros and cons of that absence
Advantages of absence
- Discretion Maximum. Optimal for some very specific profiles
- You'll prevent search engines and networks have data about you
- Concentration total in your work or activities
- Avoid "illness" typical of the social media environment (Nomophobia, Cyberchondria...)
Inconvenients of absence
- Impossibility to be found by searching by name
- Impossibility to be found by keyword search
- Opportunities to be missed because they are unique to digital environments
- Difficulty managing a brand comprehensively Personal
- Total loss of brand control digital staff and their reputation in that environment
Continuing with the study IAB Spain 2019, the average profile of the non-social media user is, in greater proportion, male and adult, without showing any differences between studies or professional activity (except there are fewer students among non-users).
Presence. 're. Little else
This is the majority stage of the middle internet user. Presence on a social network, using some digital tool. It's a profile mostly observant. Read, Look, but you don't act, thinking that's how you don't make a mark. Your attitude corresponds to these patterns:
- If you're looking for me they'll find me on some social network
- I'd rather watch, to be observed
- I use the social media in a personal way
- Only if there's anything exceptional interact with people on the network
The pros and cons of this rather discreet presence are:
Advantages of presence
- Greater ease of being found
- Greater knowledge of the digital medium Online
- Harnessing resources that are only found on the Internet
- Greater control of the personal brand
Inconveniences of presence
- Lack of commitment and continuity
- Difficulty being elected as there is no history of interaction
- Difficulty generating networking Qualitative
- Fstrategic line high
Essence. 're, you create value, Share, Thank, Manage, Connect
This is a minority stadium, But very value generator and opportunity taker. We're talking about advanced internet user. Here you will find the content creators and curators, The Wikipedians, and the people that social media needs to survive. From the perspective of the branding staff, the essence would be a optimal stadium to get the most out of the digital environment.
If you belong to the most committed of the three stages of digital activity, you might think so.
- Digital is already integrated into our lives, it's not an invading ente, it's a new reality worth living with
- The Internet and social media are large sources of information and knowledge at your fingertips
- It's never been easier to communicate our value proposition to the people you bring and care about
- It's never been easier to connect with people in a selective way
The pros and cons of this stage of essence are:
Advantages of essence
- Ease of being found, with a value proposition established and clear
- Ease of pre-elected in a process
- Improving professional relationships personal, including long-distance ones
- Harnessing the potential of knowledge to form, to train and sell
Inconveniences of presence
- Absolute level of Commitment, continuity and coherence
- Loss of privacy
- Requires specific training
- Need solidify a new habit and put focus and action on it
It's your turn to assess which stadium may be most interesting to you
There is no rule to know in a minute whether it suits maximum discretion or reflect the pattern of real life in a medium like the Internet and bet on the essence.
Common sense says that we shouldn't be different people on and off the grid, that would be a logical situation. If we're kind, we'll be networked. Are we generous?, Also. If we prefer closed and controlled environments, better to value a stadium of presence.
As a consultant in personal brand management, experiences with my clients tell me that a controlled situation of "essence" is the one that produces the greatest satisfactions in terms of networking and social sale.
A hidden profile or Troll only benefits one person. An open profile and value generator benefits a community. It's your turn.. There are three stadiums of digital activity are you satisfied with yours?
Stock Photos from Best Backgrounds/ Shutterstock