Article published originally on the blog NQSPLS (I do not want to be cover of Mondays in the Sun) directed by Ana Carmen Moruga
I started my career very young. My first payroll, contract practices as a creative assistant advertising agency Tiempo BBDO, It is dated January 1979. I had 16 and she is studying at night. There I understood that communication environment, the creativity, advertising and all the madness that lead would become my profession, my passion.
So it was. Pass 11 years by J. Walter Thompson, then by Bassat & Ogilvy and then Saatchi & Saatchi. Total, some 20 years in the environment of international advertising agency, working for big-budget advertisers and global brands. after those 20 years I wanted a taste of being a shareholder of a company, so I accepted the offer to lead the Barcelona agency Altraforma. Year 1998 and the experience could not start better.
What he happened to my college career?
I did not give priority. To the 18 I was over the COU and got an excellent note on the entrance exam. You could choose. And as I worked in advertising, I decided mistakenly held- Enroll in Economics. A wrong decision for someone of letters and arts.
Indeed, I began Economics, but I ended up never, I was bored too. I took advantage of the situation to pursue a masters degree in marketing, two years very productive night session. To the 18, also enters a new advertising agency, and the 20 I knew I would not do military service.
Back to the topic, in Altraforma I felt comfortable, It works with the same intensity or more, weekends, some nights. But it works "for me". A small piece of the result (If I recall one 15%) it was Min e. In 2000 and 2001 we managed to put the agency ranking places reserved for very large groups. We were a dreamboat. We receive many offers from multinational purchasing groups. The circumstances made no such offer was accepted (crass error) and that 2003 was sighted signs of slowing. I lost a client, some untimely dismissal, things happen in the best families and are often overcome.
But something happened that marked my life forever. Without knowing it, I settled on "comfort zone", in the brain that obscures the need to change the way of doing things. It is possible that some adverse circumstance in my family environment influenced my mood, but outside any rate in September 2004 I reached out an agreement with the majority shareholder of the agency. Euphemisms aside, I was fired from the company. Let's be clear, please. I sold my shares and I went in December of that same year, after a Christmas party that became my funeral advertising.
In January 2005, and thanks to an advertiser who did not want to release my, I started my own business, Lateral Consulting. What side it came by the positive influence of Edward de Bono and his "Lateral Thinking", a book that should be read to babies in the cradle.
There I discovered that I could work like a donkey and be happy. The pressures were my pressures, nobody put me goals, I put them on my own. Without knowing it, I devised my own personal branding plan. In 2007 I accepted an offer to manage the business in Spain TVLowCost, a young French agency that broke the mold and opened in two years subsidiaries worldwide defying its philosophy to large multinationals. The invention is not worked here, which it gave me new parameters to know what not to do, but fortunately my business with Lateral Consulting worked well.
In 2007, from Lateral, I started working on projects and communication strategy aimed at people, professionals. Politicians, entrepreneurs, people who had suffered a layoff ... I still do not know, but my good friend Linda Reichard told me one day that I was called “personal branding“.
Earlier 2010, hand that would later be my current partner, Jordi Collell, We attended a conference in Madrid on personal brand captained by sherpa Andrés Pérez Ortega, and in October of that same year we openedSOYMIMARCA.
the Col·legi of Publicitaris de Catalunya accepted me as referee in 1998 and he sent me the diploma of "publicity" in 2006, after 30 years of uninterrupted career in advertising.
Can you survive without college career?
Of course. My keys were these:
- Happiness exists. You just have to go get it. And that is achieved overcoming fears.
- Risking is key. If you do not risk you can live reasonably well with a living wage, but it will be difficult to go to work with the appropriate degree of motivation.
- You can live with less. Many people are closed in band to undertake for fear of not reaching the levels of remuneration they were working as employees.
- Think big. Think big. If you have a good idea, ponle resources, do not be stingy. No idea prosper without a decent investment.
- Surround yourself with the best. So far the topic. But I mean surround yourself with the best people, of people whom you can trust the keys to your life. Quickly detach yourself who do not share your level of enthusiasm for the project, It will become a toxic agent.
- Become a plan. you map. Follows a script. And you see adapted according to circumstances. Do not close to change course, but keep the destination. And remember, as the Greek poet Constantine P. Cavafy said, the important thing is not only to reach the destination, but learning trip without forcing the crossing.