Stories can change the world
The factor of choice between two identical professionals with knowledge hard and similar trajectories can be at ease to get emotionally to your partner. That we have no doubts: Stories can change the world.
Although the art of storytelling goes back to ancient caves, some authors became science to include it in the Branding Trademark, political candidates, and, of course, professional. Among them I highlight two: Christian Salmon, author Storytelling: Machine fabricate stories and formatting minds (Atalaya, 2008) Spanish and settled in Chicago Antonio Nunez, author of two books on the subject, which recommend Será mejor que lo cuentes (Empresa Activa, 2007).
- Good examples of the use of storytelling in trademarks highlight "the jump"Felix Baumgartner Red Bull, he had the world on tenterhooks for a few hours, getting thousands audiences that exceed conventional advertising campaigns, and it appears even in the Wikipedia.
- In politics it is remarkable the use of metaphors to make speeches that touch the heart: “new deal”, "Zero unemployment", "the change", “”The quiet force”…
- In person, cases of Jeff Bezos, Richard Branson, Bill Gates academics are examples of how to use the account for the purpose of better connection and empathy with the public. But perhaps it is a somewhat inaccurate story, know that Jobs and Wonziak Apple started in a garage without college connected with many people of humble origins and encourages them to overcome prejudices.
We all have things to say, and often the reason for not doing so is because we have been taught to separate well between professional and personal, when in reality we are talking about a thin line which is not bad pass. If we generate empathy key is having the courage to show the same interest with our strengths and our weaknesses: that's what makes us human, and that is what connects, seduces and convinces.
Not to stay only examples of famous I leave an example of storytelling applied to a professional after a process personal branding:
When it is interesting to use the personal account?
In personal branding processes we see certain types of professionals who require more than others the use of personal moments in its history to bolster their career or their skills:
- architects, engineers, doctors, lawyers, police. Professions often not so bad drag "fame" as some notion of coldness. Hollywood has flooded our heads hard attorneys, calculating and cold, Like police. But the truth is that the stories of these people Calan us deeply when they show their human condition; their relationships with their children, spouses, its dependencies to alcohol, other drug.
- Communication professionals: journalists, advertising, community managers, people who often need to connect strongly with their audiences with more than just cold data, They need the story to open hearts and generate complicities.
- Job seekers. They should know that things are changing, that every achievement in the career possibly coming from a story worth telling. ¿In a CV? Isn't it?, The CV is a dying format. Perhaps the personal interview is the right place. Imagine a phrase (and) style "My friends made fun of me at school for my obesity, so I studied dietary ". Is not it better than just saying "I studied dietary"?. Another format is imposed Video-CV, which we have excellent examples on YouTube of creativity that has made candidates are recruited in less than 24 hours to show skills that go beyond their professional skills (Cook, play the piano, fly a plane ...) and humanizing the discourse.
A final tip to work the personal account: In addition to carefully read the books referred, seriously consider turning a hobby into a personal account support. For example, if one is half marathons broker may share that data to discuss their skills discipline, culture of self-improvement and effort. Or if you collect stamps can give information about its research capacity, his eagerness to finish things ...
To learn more article I recommend Tino Fernández / Expansion released 22 April 2016 under the title Are you a 'Pied Piper of Hamelin’ in your job? they collaborate Andrés Pérez Ortega, Iñaki Arrola and myself based on the above text.
- Don't think (Only) on Google, think about your customers - 14 December, 2019
- From influencers to influentials (a substantial change) - 6 December, 2019
- When facts are imposed on such (good personal brand) - 29 November, 2019