What is offline networking?
Offline networking is pure contact management . It is detaching from the computer screen, leaving home or office to attend events, reading books, watching movies or giving talks, among many other things. Perhaps this may seem boring or politically incorrect in 4.0, but believe me, it's fantastic.
I spend many hours in front of the screen, but I wish they were less. Out there there's a world. Few days ago, talking to a colleague, We talked about the power of offline networking compared to online. I'm not quite much about “ten advantages” and all that, but the numbers are magical and allow succinctly explain what has offline networking that has not (yet) online:
Benefits of networking offline
- Breaking the sense of isolation it produces be a few hours or all day at the computer. No videoconferencing can replace a good hug or a good handshake.
- Have a beer or coffee with a friend, a client, a collaborator. That does not even exist on the network. And our message can work in a relaxed way, with long boring storytelling included.
- Exchanging paper cards. It may seem vintage, but I still have cards of the 90. Possibly they are useless, but remember it's like a photo album, It stimulates memory and can cause a desire to search for someone who left their mark. Although today it is easy to connect via many channels online, there's nothing like meeting in a real event.
- Put a face and voice people whose profiles are really old pictures and tunned. Do you imagine putting a face geek (freak digital) you've met before in a social network?
- The emotions, the senses, are transmitted more efficiently “Live”. The sum of verbal and nonverbal gives a complete result, which together with odors, tactile sensations, it becomes almost perfect.
- The ability to distinguish between friends, known and greated -paraphrasing Josep Pla-, It is greater in the street network, where we receive friend requests from people you do not know anything. I claim that differential treatment. Not the same a close neighbor beyond someone who was young couple or a customer. Our management is activated to bring up the networker within us.
- Share information it is easier. If I have a computer problem you can solve a I online forum. But those who were born before 2000 we prefer to tell someone before us and tell us what buttons you need to press. Perhaps augmented reality will change some of these issues, but even today I do not see that this technology is applied massively.
- The qualitative value of a meeting is greater, since it involved the 5 senses. No vintage photos, our face is real, our actions speak for us. You may know attending a conference at 10 people, many fewer than possibly read this post, but its value will be higher.
- It is where it is generated true elevator pitch, a short speech where our value proposition should achieve a second meeting with a prospective client or stakeholder.
- To summarize I will say that, in person, real interactions often create a more favorable environment.
TED and TEDx, an opportunity for offline networking
TEDx and TED talks are a unique opportunity for the offline networking. While that remains are the videos, a publisher, The moment is unique and unrepeatable.
If you have occasion to be for Barcelona 22 of March 2019, Do not miss TEDxEixample 2019 in Antiga Fàbrica Damm. A place to learn, know, to experience. And the poster of this year can not be more powerful:
Some time ago I wrote a post titled There is a coffee that wants to know us, it is still valid. Of course, there is nothing wrong with continuing our networking online; metrics are always interesting. But sometimes, and today is a day to do it, we must reclaim handshakes and hugs as the great humorist Victor Parrado, a real fan of offline networking.