Personal brand (Marca Personal) is…
Personal brand It is what we project in others. If our identity is what we are, the footprint we leave on others is our Personal brand.
As said by Pablo Adán says in his book El reto, our management is vitally dependent on our relationships with others. If we were hermits, We would have own identity, but we would not hace anyone to leave a management. Andrés Pérez Ortega reinforces the same idea in his manifest:
A Personal brand has no value if it does not offer something to others. The strength of the brand comes from "the other".
When did it all begin?
The “personal brand awareness” starts with the first artists signed their works, worrying about his legacy. In the background, yes, purpose, the legacy we want to leave, is an essential part of our brand. Enrique Rueda (may he rest in peace), in its post No personal brand no artist (Soymimarca, 2016), in reference to classical Greece and the Renaissance, stated:
It is in these moments when artists become aware of their own work, of their individuality and value of their work, and begin to break down barriers. During that awareness they begin to develop the footprint they plan to leave for history, his management
A different matter is when starts personal brand management, known as personal branding (in Spanish, also known as branding personal). The one who coined the term, the writer specializing in business management Tom Peters, did it relatively recently, when it included the personal branding in his article entitled “The Brand called You” (La Marca llamada Tú). To clarify concepts I recommend reviewing the post Isn't it?, Personal Branding is not the same as Personal Brand.
It is not just emotional or rational only
Our management, understood as external view, It is complex. It comprises elements (memories) emotional and rational. The message we communicate is rich, we say is mixed with the way we say, and so it does what we do. To complicate more, what we don't do and we don't say also leaves a brand. Everything leaves a brand.
The personal brand is not built, it is discovered
What we can build or develop is our personal strategy, managing our brand or personal branding process. To discover our management we must delve into our own knowledge, and for this there is nothing like asking for feedback. Should we care what people say about us? Yes, but it should not obsess us. Information is power, and if we do not know what brand we leave then we cannot focus on our own strategy.
And here's the video What is personal branding? (Marca Personal)
I've been waiting a bit long to update definitions from the production we did in Soymimarca on 2012, which has about 80.000 screenings. In that video, we mixed concepts management and personal branding with insights about difference, authenticity…
In this new video, with long boring 25 definitions, I wanted to be more purist and I refer only to definitions or insights on management (marca personal). I'll soon present a specific video to be called What is Personal Branding?
The authors and their sentences
I must admit I've been a bad boy and except in two cases, I have not warned the authors about this video. Many definitions are taken from the bowels of an article, almost stolen. When we are asked for a definition of something, we try to be very academic, very perfect. And that sometimes goes against the principle of spontaneity. Here I transcribe the 25 definitions and their authors:
- Personal brand It is perceived identity. It is what others think and feel especially what we say and do (or not anymore). Inspired by our values and projected on our channels of influence / Joan Clotet @JoanClotet
- It is the credit of trust that you have in the market, through the generation of value for a community consistently over time / Francisco Alcaide @falcaide
- It's what makes us special and what others remind about us / Noemí Vico @_tiruriru_
- It is the result of the projection of what you know, what you do and what you feel in others, It is generating a certain perception of you and tilt interactions with you in one way or another / David Barreda @DavidBarreda_db
- Personal brand is the clear impression you leave on others that allows you to transcend and collaborate / Arancha Ruiz @alterarancha
- It is a footprint, a signal, It is what remains when we are no longer present / Andrés Pérez Ortega @personal brand
- Personal… it's you / Eva Collado @evacolladoduran
- Today the brand is the sum of everything we do and what not. What we sell and what not. What we say and what not… / Ivan Diaz @Branzai_
- It is the intersection between what we are and what we want to become / Ami Bondia @amibondia
- Is the perception we have of a particular person and the traces left in our minds / Xavi Roca @xaviroca1
- It is what we are, what we do and what we achieve / Vladimir Estrada @Prof_EstradaMSc
- Your own identity vitally depends on your relationships with others, and these determine your management / Pablo Adán says @PabloAdanMico
- It is the result you get after your effort and your strategy focused on identifying your strengths, put into action your talent and show it to the world / Elena Arnaiz @ElenaArnaiz
- It is the binding of a well-defined identity, authenticity, transparency, charisma, strategy and credibility, who manage to leave a deep impact on others / Claudio Inacio @ Cincio06
- The biggest risk you can make is not to risk. Dare and make your best record! / Paula Fernández-Ochoa @paulafdezochoa
- The Personal brand It is a reflection of the magic inside you / Nilton Navarro @NiltonNavarro
- It is the fusion of your changes and your permanences, between who you are, you do and, above all, how do you do reverberating, both positive and negative, to others / Helen Gómez @HelenEgrorienta
- It's something that comes from oneself and then is projected into the world / Fran Segarra @fransegarrab
- It's when someone hears your name and automatically knows who you are and how you can help / Ana Trenza @aatrenza
- Brand is the perfume you use, reputation is the smell you leave / Alfonso Alcántara @yoriento
- Personal brand It is footprint you leave, the way you are remembered / Nancy Vazquez @nanvazy
- It is the footprint we leave on people with whom we have maintained a professional relationship and allows us to be known and recognized / Jordi Collell @JordiCollell
- It's like a scent, difficulto to define but actually are easy to be explained in three words for obvious nuances / Helena Casas @HelenaCasas
- Everything leaves a brand, and we much more than anything / Guillem Recolons @GuillemRecolons
- … and tell me... What's your brand? / Neus Arques @neusarques
I hope I have helped focus Ideas. Have a nice week!