The big jump
three players: Felix Baumgartner, Red Bull Stratos and the challenge to gravity. Got together with the leap Baumgartner the largest audience ever conquered an ad. Not even “1984” Apple got that level of impact.
- 8 millions people watched the jump live (streaming) on YouTube (the event that follows, the London Olympics, they got 500.000 people connected simultaneously on this network).
- After landing, Red Bull posted the photo of Baumgartner flexing his knees at landfall in Facebook. In less than 40 minutes, the picture was shared with more than 29.000 times, It generated about 216.000 “likes” and more of 10.000 comments.
- During the jump and at times, half of the trending topics on Twitter spoke jump in the world – removing the role of other simultaneous events like Justin Bieber and games of the National Football League USA.
- Only in Spain and through Teledeporte, 4,3 millions of people they followed the jump live (yes, 27,8% share).
But not everything is 2.0
Indeed, Baumgartner jump it was real, as Real was the huge investment in the ship and preparations for the jump. The ground control team was worthy of a space rocket launch, and the next day there was no cover of newspaper not to talk jump.
Red Bull advertising had spent years in the world with “te da alas“, so we could say that the jump event was the perfect culmination of the campaign. A company that invests 25% of its turnover in marketing is a business that risks… and in this case wins.
If I had to frame the jump in any discipline communication, I dare say that Red Bull has built the best story of history. Remember the permanent tension of all the hours and minutes before the jump, impeccable script. The sweat ground controllers. The thousands of radio and TV commentators who ventured worst for Baumgartner. The risk, to plot, the control (or decontrol) of time. The preparation of all teams in the wilderness that fell. Awesome. Marketing de atracción in pure state.
Red Bull used its own channels on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter… to relay the event. pure innovation. Another had organized an exclusive with any TV channel, a newspaper or magazine. Red Bull did not want to share center stage, He gambled too.
You have died advertising?
The question I ask myself as advertising and as a victim of indiscriminate bombing of low-quality ads is dead Has advertising?
Surely in its current stadium itself. Consistent advertising disrupt our lives with something we do not want is disappearing. People are rebelling against us notice 20″ interrupting us a film. We prefer to burn, rent it or see it for 2 € HD through Apple TV. We are tired of turning pages and pages full of ads daily on Sundays. We turned off the radio or change the station when entering advertising. Why? For several reasons:
- there are other options, other channels at that time maybe not issue advertising
- Lack of affinity: Do not emit ads for products or services that interest us, making it more tedious to have to listen.
- The creativity It is doldrums. Solo 1 of 100 ads contain stimulants or surprising elements.
- We have learned to value silence, peace. And a good time to turn off the TV or radio advertising is when you enter.
- time is over “repetition is reputation“. Now repeat abandonment is punishable by brand. A campaign issued between October 2012 and February 2013 selection of waste in Catalonia (container where you) It has achieved the opposite effect by excessive repetition. Better little and good and bad lot.
The truth is that excessive advertising in traditional media is changing the patterns of media consumption.
Goodbye, advertising. Hello, Branding
I sincerely hope that the present and probably the future- It is in the branding, the large umbrella of commercial communication. I understand branding as an integral process of value creation around a brand, either corporate, social or personal. I try to explain with this graphic:
What good branding?
Is a complete process around the brand.
A corporate branding, for example, It includes strategic communication planning, we el, research concepts and insights, field study meanings brand, Brand design (Logo, anagram…), el packaging, outbound, el storytelling, PR actions associated, yes, “publicity” (obtaining free press coverage), Social Media Strategy, the events, promotions, merchandising, sponsorship, el product placement, direct marketing, planning and media buying, construction of supports for events, graphic arts, The graphic design, the photograph, audiovisual production, the audience measurement systems, influence and reputation-and whether conventional or online-, el street marketing, shares of retail POS (tastings, promos, signaling…), yes, “city branding” or brand study of cities, web design and corporate blogs, all, all.
How it is ideally design a branding strategy
Heart out. From the vision (the why) to the mission (the what) through the differential values (the how). It is very difficult from what, the process must start with why. Luther King He dreamed of an America without racism (view), and so his message struck a chord. He did not just denounce whites, I had not done any. Instead, created collective consciousness, one huge social branding action. Something made Mahatma Gandhi. And so they did asked, who dreamed of making things easier for people or Bill Gates, who dreamed of 1975 each house could accommodate a computer.
In the commercial arena, vision or dream of Red Bull has been that people fly (and he has achieved, go if you have done). The vision of BMW -in Spain- It is to awaken the pleasure of driving. This is not to sell soft drinks or cars, It is about creating sensations and emotions, to reach the hearts of people, of attracted by passion, not repeat. The desired response to a well planned action of branding is not “this brand has convinced me”, is “this brand speaks my language, Do you get me, tunes”.
What will happen to advertising agencies?
Many have understood the change and are offering even without specify- processes branding. The other fear that eventually disappearing or becoming specialists serving companies branding. If only they dedicated to sell ads without wanting to see beyond ad agencies will be, little more. Recently, talking to a good friend, He came the idea of calling “commercial communication” the entire set of processes that I have described above. But I think it is lame, lack a higher concept, miss the mark. And brand is all: Business, institutions, people, citizen groups. Everything leaves a brand. Why the word branding (Originally burn cattle with a distinctive symbol) filled both, It is an umbrella shaft.
And what will happen to advertising professionals
In my view there is an excessive specialization around the advertising profession; there are few advertising “holistic” and there are many art directors, editors, planners, Account Managers, media specialists… The truth is advertisers do not want to see a team 5 people in a meeting. They want to talk to one, with whom you can talk about everything knowingly. That story is repeated in meetings “it will consult with the editor” bores the most painted. Be solved, advise, get wet.
If we add that few professionals understand much publicity promotions, The street marketing, events, we find that advertisers are forced to hire 10 agencies to resolve the management of the same brand: the advertising, the media, the social media, the promotion, the CSR, to the….
So, I venture to guess that the comprehensive professional branding It is imposed, will be the guardian angel of communication companies, institutions, professionals… Isn't it?, there is still no university degree of branding. Branding experts have gained their experience working in many places and with an open mind. It will be a more creative profile management, I do not doubt that, but you will have to share your right brain with some analytical capacity. An all terrain, a burner.
Although there are no studies yet to be "Brander", may I recommend some readings to understand the phenomenon of branding
- Marketing de atracción 2.0 of Oscar Del Santo (Free eBook). Explains the change of marketing model to interrupt Attraction.
- Expertología, of Andrés Pérez Ortega (Alienta). Excellent personal branding manual.
- Será mejor que lo cuentes, of Antonio Nuñez (active business). Of the best I've read about storytelling.
- Eating the Big Fish of Adam Morgan (Adweek Media). Explains how brands can compete with the leaders and leaders in their markets.
- Closely monitor the websites and blogs Puro Marketing, Antonio Monerris, BlogMorillas and Soymimarca