Attached article Tino Fernández on personal branding published in Expansion and Employment, with the collaboration of Guillem Recolons
Many companies are wary of key professionals who reach higher prominence of corporate identity. Difficult fight it.
They are outstanding ambassadors of companies, their brands and their products. But his strong communication skills, the amount of fans who drag and reaching prominence, driven by social and professional networks, Scares more than one company.
Eva Levy, socia founder of Eva Levy & Partners, He speaks of talented employees who are excellent communicators. This is key professionals who have understood the power of social networks by marketing your personal brand while driving their signatures, creating real economic value and establishing relationships with customers, the media, analysts and shareholders.
Monica Deza, managing partner of W&M Consulting Group, adds that these key employees take advantage and circumstances of a new economic paradigm: “More and more freelance in what is known as the gigeconomy, small work environment. It is well-trained professionals, with good management of your personal brand and leveraging talent outside organizations, with great potential to develop their own career”. Teach people where the key is the sum of your personal brand with the company is an undoubted benefit to the company itself.
Dan Schawbel, Managing Partner of Millennial Branding and author of the bestseller Me 2.0, It ensures that the recession mean it is not enough to be good at the job itself. “The economic scenario requires everyone to be an expert in your field. Increasingly, you need to be creative to distinguish themselves from others. Your people are your brand -talento is the same as brand-, and a company must decide whether to finally allow their employees this type of evangelization. The advantage of doing this is to have a much more powerful voice, with a more consistent for customers and employees feel empowered and more productive message. If companies do not see their staff as ambassadors for their own brand risk losing them to other companies”.
Guillem Recolons, founder Lateral Consulting, explain what “organizations are realizing that it is increasingly difficult to curb the fact that talented people develop a strong identity. It is better to support them, because ultimately they are in favor of the Corporation, provided that such personal brand is linked to it. Must make way to develop that personal brand, to talk about her in the company, because it is a means of communication with more strength and credibility that corporate messages. And it should be linked to positive values of the firm”.
Stop or restrain
Eva Levy agrees that “If you do not have no differences and the best is not possible to survive in such a competitive market. Today there is a need to distinguish companies, and this is more common for people who for products. So far the organizations gave little importance to these professionals”.
Levy warns that, evidently, that visibility may imply that headhunters and other companies can bid on these brightest professionals. The question is how to retain talent, and this implies more a symbiosis that offer more money. Finding the best has to be constant.
Monica Deza says “Companies are made by people. Many companies are in the process of stopping talent, instead of holding it. Efforts should be that people do not go, investing in it”. In this regard Andrés Pérez Ortega, personal branding expert, He states that one of the keys is “grasp that 1% of professionals who really want to develop this type of activity, using as a marketing tool that minority that is willing to stand. HR directors must pass personal brand managers”.
Meanwhile believes Dan Schawbel “to recruit every professional must be sure that there is a vision and a common mission, and brand attributes. If you do not hire talent that can be integrated into the corporate culture, This can leave the organization in a short time and ruin the corporate environment”.
The idea is that, once it captures the right employees, it is necessary to train them in all that relates to the agenda of the company and allow the use of social media to build your brand and support the mission of your company.
Schawbel believes that “personal branding becomes selfish and try to be more important than the company itself when the person and organization are not in tune. That's when the employee tends to leave the organization, create your own or to work for another company which itself is aligned with its main interests”.
Guillem Recolons It also refers to the fear that show numerous firms about the possibility of developing personal brands. “In this case adversely they affect people who are not happy in your company. Create your personal brand to say 'Here I am!’; It is an alternative way out of the company. Ideally, organizations know what employees can expect, and they know that companies have them”.
Andrés Pérez recalled that “many companies are afraid of the information coming out, that the perception we have from the outside is not that controls the communication department. The image offered by the company which is not desired to be taken. It is an absurd fear of losing control, because you can not hide or try to control, but make the most of the ability to communicate and promote visibility tools”.
Subtitle: And it only cost 5 €!!
Sub-Subtitle: Based on a true story
Imagine your life's dream is to find work as a copywriter in one of the 5 best agencies in the country. Imagine also, you're broke and you can not spend more than 4 or 5 € to get your azaña.
I would say the same if your goal is to get into one of the best law firms, economists, engineers. I would say the same if you want to find a good place schoolmaster, commercial manager or whatever you want.
It is easier than it seems to be. You enter Google, are looking Google Adwords and buy some keywords. If you want to buy "adman" will cost a paste. And we only have 4 5 €. Adwords formula is not closed price, if not you pay for auction. If no one wants what you want, will cost 0,15 by clicking, really cheap. But if you want to buy general words like "creative side”, Be prepared to pay a pretty penny.
In our history, what we do is Buy the names of the best creative advertising the country. Why?
Because when searching your name on Google you will find our ad: "Hello Creative Director XXXX, Googlearte yourself is fun. Hire me as a creative in your company, as well. Giving me a call. You are late."
Well, this little story is true, and it ended well. Our friend, whose real name is Alec Brownstein He managed to enter as a senior editor at Young & Rubicam. the contrato Scott Vitrone, a creative director who was amazed Alec's ability to attract attention.
I thank my good friend and companion Linda Reichard by publishing it in its LinkedIn. The story published last 18 May the online newspaper "The Globe and Mail”, and here is the link to see the full story, including an interview with the protagonists.
Personal Brand new professionals
Dice Tom Peters , with such vehemence that characterizes him, we will have to reinvent our job in the coming years, we are one-person companies and services that jobs will be replaced by projects.
Peter Drucker also says that it's time to take charge of our careers as individuals and not just rely on "daddy" company.
Tanto Peters como Drucker, They refer not only consultants but to all types of professionals. Work is over for life and from now we will all have to think like micro services of one person. That is to say, YO mentality prevails, S.A. even if someone pays us a payroll. You could say that in a few years, we will all become consultants and we will change the concept of employment by the project.
Free Agent Nation
Is this a pessimistic view? I do not think so, quite the contrary. It opens a new world of career possibilities. This new way of thinking forces us to rethink our careers. They will no longer be static and linear but must be flexible to adjust to the new market needs.
Although this need to adapt to change requires effort, also we will give the possibility to go choosing what best suits our strengths, our tastes and our goals. we will not be half of our lives doing the same as a result of the choice we made when we were twenty years.
In order to succeed in this new free-agent market we need to know that we are different, that we emphasize or what is the same in discovering our Personal Brand. A personal brand is what differentiates a professional "commodity" or a professional white label with added value. no longer enough to just be competent in your job, you must also be known standards and style above the market average.
Companies that want to survive in the market, They should encourage the Personal Brand of the professionals. As James Speros says (Chief Marketing Officer de Ernst&Young), "Personal Brand of employees is not a threat to the enterprise, but an active ".
Instead of providing security to employees, companies must provide the tools for professionals reinvent themselves and go as far as their talents can take them. Unfortunately in many cases we will meet resistance from employers because even though there is much talk of retaining talent, in many cases rather it seems to stop speaking talent.
Chess and checkers
It may seem that the development of Personal Records by professionals is a risk to the cultures closed, homogeneous and uniform of some companies in general and consultants in particular. However, it does not have to be this way. A personal brand of the analysis and discovery of values, talent and goals of each professional and if these are aligned with those of the company, the risk disappears and becomes a fortress. evidently, the company must make an effort to know what are those values and try to satisfy them.
In a market where the demographic curve is downward and that loyalty to companies is part of the past, these tables pompous say the company mission is to provide shareholder value, are as motivators for our professionals as the glory of the state for a worker in a tractor factory in Ukraine at the beginning of the 90. Companies that want to survive will have to replace the mentality of playing checkers by chess, wherein each piece has a value and a different function.
People trust people
On the other hand, following recent scandals seems that there is some fear of large corporations.
In the same way we associate trademarks to certain values and intangible characteristics, Personal brand can establish solid and lasting links between people. For that reason, when a professional is known for its brand, it is possible to establish a relationship more individual, more personal, more authentic and that can only be beneficial for him and his company, because if one thing is clear it is that people trust people and not entities. It is back to the old personal relationship of trust, which it is established between two people. And that's not the last of the last, but comes back to something they already knew the Phoenicians but seem to have forgotten.
The discovery (not create) a Personal Brand is similar to product development. Five steps:
1. First, you need to understand the market, the context in which we move.
2. In a second stage to do a thorough analysis of the product, in this case it comes to each of us and could be summed up in something as classic as "know thyself". This is the most important stage.
3. Then you need to understand and apply those concepts that make a personal brand becomes stronger as consistency, authenticity, persistence, The visibility, etc.
4. Once discovered the brand, you have to bring it to light and for that classic marketing tools are used but applied to individuals. Fortunately, technology allows us to reach our market almost at zero cost. It's funny how it has spread in the consulting industry utilizing one of the most powerful tools of Personal Marketing, blogs. They are numerous and every day, young consultants who publish blogs talking about their experiences. Of course, most of them do anonymously.
5. All this should not be a mere theoretical exercise but must take action and to do a strategic plan is established Personal Brand.
This process, so simple and known to apply to persons carrying some ten years ago in the US yet, It has not come to our country until recently. Although I can guess the answer (and terrifies me) I'm still wondering Why?
To build your personal brand interest, among other things, get followers Twitter. Here I leave some tips to boost Twitter and get more out:
- Fairplay acts: follow your followers and answer the questions or comments that make you directly.
- Twice perday, Retweet an interesting post you've found a blog in your industry. Your followers want to know about the latest trends, disputes and ideas.
- Once a day, tweeting a news article about your industry. To find sources, interesting subscribe to alerts Google, Search Google News or some relevant daily, national international.
- Once a day, twittea a sentence or interesting quote. Those that move reflection. BrainyQuote It is a good source of quotations. Example: I've failed over and over again in my life, so I have achieved success. (Michael Jordan).
- Once a day, tweeting something personal. In the background, we are humans. It is not all the time to explain what we have eaten or dined, but to recommend a restaurant where we ate yesterday.
- Once a day answers a question related to your field. Use Twitter search or management application Twitter, as TweetDeck. This is a good way of attracting followers.
- The use of hashtags It's very important. This is Twitter tags, and here work differently to other platforms. Serve to classify our tweet, in order to identify a topic. As we do when we create a post on our blog, or hang a picture on Flickr, etc ... and we label to classify on a keyword to make relationship. On Twitter we can find on the side, among others listed as "trending topics”. When you write on Twitter and want it to be classified with Hashtag, just write # right in front of the word that identifies the subject of your tweet, that is, If you refer to marketing you should write #Marketing. If we find other Hashtags and see related tweets, we can go to search engine Favorites on the left side.
If so, well done. Google It is one of the largest sources of knowledge. And not only for its search websites, as well as image search, blogs, Map, alerts… If you also have knowledge of English, expand your answers, since the sum razes. Google will take you to Wikipedia, a YouTube, the millions of blogs in the world, social networks, online press, thematic websites…
I only see one but. And is that many of us we do not know properly use Google metabuscador. Not the same look that Lateral Consulting “Lateral Consulting”. In the first case we have more than 1 million answers, most unrelated. In the second case we have just over 3.000 but totally related. Try it with your name or your company.
- AND: by default Google launches in search results linking the words entered by the user using this operator. So the end result of a search without specifying anything or using the AND operator will be the results that contain both specified words list. The searches “Used cars AND” or “used car” get the same results, a list of Web sites that contain the word cars and the word occasion.
- OR the symbol "|” : If you want to specify that the appearance of the two words is not necessary in each search result, but each of them separately, you must specify the OR operator between the terms to be met this criterion. “Used cars OR” now will result a list of Web sites that contain the term cars or occasion.
- The operator - : to exclude search results. It must be specified before the term to avoid so that the results are sought that do not contain the specified word. “car -ocasión” search the Web sites containing the word car but no chance.
- You can be assigned to different areas limiting them operators parentheses: “(car OR motorcycle) AND occasion” will search all websites that contain the word cars or motorbikes and either of these two is essential to appear occasion.
- “site:site_name words to search”, search only in this site.
- “site:es.wikipedia.org mathematics”, searches for all pages that contain the word “mathematics” within the web https://es.wikipedia.org. You can consult a site even when it does not work by clicking the button “cache” that appears next to each search results.
- It puts one “define:” followed by a word (not: define:Body) See definitions and encyclopedic texts on the subject.
- using “cache:” before a URL, We will show the contents of the cache Google (This is useful at times when for some reason a direction is not accessible temporarily).
- If you type “filetype:” followed by the extension of a file will search pages containing that file extension. For example: University filetype:doc
If anything good has the crisis It is forcing the need for change. Not in vain, the Greek word crisis means change. It's hard, unless you work in the public administration, in recent years and months has not been a change in your employment status.
Right now it is when it is most important reinventing oneself. Something like a of construction Ferran Adrià, but your own ideas and projects. If you've done for years and no “sell”, urgently you need to change the perspective. Introduce new elements, evolve. The web 2.0 It has opened many new horizons. You can work online better than ever. TV viewing habits change, and increase the hours in front of computer and internet.
Can anyone imagine that personal branding might be just as fast and effective without the network?
Finally a tip. If you try while not creating something new, we go wrong. The changes come from creative processes. He spends a few hours a day to think of something new. If you need help, I suggest an old hand “A technique for producing ideas” of James Webb Young. It has years but it works.
I recognize that I have a love-hate relationship with the Google Alerts. On the one hand, you saturate the incoming mailbox. But on the other, You spend valuable information about the issues that you have decided to subscribe.
Want to know what they say about you on the web? Writes a Google Alert with your name. At Google he is not almost nothing escapes. If someone mentioned in a blog, a tag, on a website or in any 2D, you will know.
Want to know the news about the trade of chickens sexador? Subscribe to alert Google “chickens sexador” and you will not miss anything. Material will have leftovers to prepare your next posts or tweets.
Jokes aside, Alerts are a great tool that saves you from being “strung up” 24h network and notifies you at the intervals you specify on the topic you have chosen.
What do you want to know?
Here we find one of the main differences between a conventional website and blog: the blog allows a great interactivity. If the blog does not support comments, I call him “flog” the fake blog, because it breaks its essence feed back between the author and his readers.
In the same way that it is very wise to comment on other blogs, -a interesting answer to be one to one- comments we receive on our blog. If lack of time is a fact, You can answer once all comments. A master of this technique is J.A. Duran Lleida, one of the most active and interactive politicians in what refers to Blog.
If you get a few comments on your blog, three tips:
- Create headlines relevant and provocative. Do not be afraid of long titles. A flat and short headline goes unnoticed on the net.
- Communicate your new post and Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube… or anywhere you have an account 2.0.
- Leaves open questions. There is nothing more provocative than leave a question in the air.
And you, Do you frequently receive comments?
This has changed, Let's not fool ourselves. Before we could get information from magazines sector, seminars, meetings, conferences. Then, with the emergence of web 1.0 forums emerged as places of sectoral meeting. The arrival of web 2.0 brought tools like Wikipedia, a virtual well of knowledge created by Internet users themselves. But today, without a doubt, the largest source of knowledge outside schools and universities are blogs.
The blog (short for web log) or log born in 2005 and now it has a community of millions of Internet users on the network. To understand the importance of blogging in generating knowledge and information transmission this excellent video I attached only 3′ created by commoncraft.com:
But the issue is how do you know which blogs that interest me are for my industry? There are several ways, but the best Google search blogs and put the keywords or tags.
Blog image by Shutterstock.com